Return to Newsletter Index
DHX - Dependable Hawaiian Express
Dear Valued Customer,
As sent to you and discussed with you on July 27th, here is further information from Matson Navigation Company (“Matson”) with respect to equipment imbalances/shortages.
Unusually strong demand driven by a dramatic rebound in Hawaii tourism together with increased retail activity has driven Hawaii cargo volume to levels not experienced in several years. While we anticipated and prepared for additional activity, the current surge in volume is exceeding pre-pandemic levels and expectations by a significant amount.
With the resulting strain on our network, we are experiencing spot container shortages at U.S. Mainland ports, primarily with refrigerated containers, and slower than normal freight processing. Recent vessel delays have also contributed to cargo bunching in Hawaii, causing slower availability, some grounded loads, and missed Neighbor Island barges.
In order to address the primary challenge of equipment shortages and improve the flow of cargo, the following steps are being taken:
- Securing additional containers and chassis:
- After adding a large number of chassis earlier this year, we recently secured 1,300 additional chassis that will be entering our network over the next few months
- 150 additional chassis are being repositioned to our Sand Island Terminal in Honolulu. This process has already started and will continue over the next several vessel arrivals
- Refrigerated Containers
- We’ve secured 900 additional units
- These are already flowing into the network and will continue to do so through mid-August
- Extending Honolulu terminal hours:
- Sand Island Terminal will be adding night gates as needed to expedite cargo flow
We will continue working with individual customers to expedite the flow of loaded and empty containers, including pallet loads.
Matson is committed at every level of our organization to delivering the industry leading service levels our customers have come to expect. We expect service to improve gradually in the coming weeks as these initiatives take effect.
Should you have additional questions, please contact your local office, or our Corporate Customer Service center at 800-488-4888, Ext. 2020, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your business - we appreciate it!